SUSAN J. RAWLINGS
Phone: (780) 412-2707
Fax: (780) 423-8946
Preferred Areas of Practice
Education & Background
Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science certificate 2003
BSc (Medical Laboratory Science (with Distinction), University of Alberta 2004
Graduate, Program of Legal Studies for Native People, University of Saskatchewan 2009
JD, University of Alberta 2012
Called to the Alberta Bar 2013
Susan Rawlings is a born and raised Edmontonian. She obtained a Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Sciences degree from the University of Alberta in 2004. She worked at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Transfusion Medicine and at the University of Alberta Hospital in Medical Microbiology from 2003 – 2012. She obtained her Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Alberta in 2012 and joined Ackroyd LLP as an articling student in 2012. Since her call to the Bar in 2013, Susan continues to practice at the firm as an associate.
During law school, Susan became an active member of the Aboriginal legal community and was the president of the Aboriginal Law Students’ Association in her final year of law. She assisted the OUTlaw LGTB group, Law Show, and the woman’s forum during law school. She participated in the Low Income Individuals and the Law program which has inspired her to become a member of the Legal Aid Roster.
Susan has worked in several areas of law, with a focus on family law, civil litigation and aboriginal law.
Professional Associations and Other Activities
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (Alberta)
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Jason Lang Scholarship, 2001
- Beckman-Coulter Electronics of Canada Ltd. Award in Hemostasis, 2004
- An Alumni and Friends of the Faculty of Law Association 10th Anniversary Award, 2010
- Belcourt Brosseau Métis Awards, 2010
- The Métis Professional Studies Awards, 2009 and 2010
- Métis Scholar Award, 2011