ALEXANDER W. YIU
Phone: (780) 412-2724
Fax: (780) 423-8946
Preferred Areas of Practice
Education & Background
BA, University of Alberta, 2003
LLB, University of Alberta, 2006
LLM, McGill University, 2010
Called to the Alberta Bar 2007
Called to the Yukon Bar 2013
Alexander Yiu received his Bachelor of Laws from the University of Alberta in 2006 and his Master of Laws from McGill University in 2010. He was called to the Alberta Bar in 2007 and the Yukon Bar in 2013.
Alex joined Ackroyd LLP as an Associate Lawyer in 2017. He has a general litigation practice with a particular focus on aboriginal law, administrative law, civil litigation, commercial litigation, and insurance litigation. Prior to joining Ackroyd LLP, Alex acquired extensive litigation experience working at a boutique litigation firm and a regional full-service law firm in Edmonton.
Alex is an experienced litigator and has appeared before the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, the Court of Appeal of Alberta, and the Supreme Court of Canada (leave to appeal). He has participated in numerous settlement meetings, pre-trial conferences, case management meetings, Chambers applications, Special Chambers applications, and trials before the Provincial Court of Alberta and the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta. Alex has experience as well participating in all forms of alternative dispute processes including private mediation and Judicial Dispute Resolution (JDR).
Alex also served as Legal Counsel to the Court of Appeal of Alberta from 2014-2016. During this time, he was assigned to The Honourable Thomas W. Wakeling and The Honourable Myra B. Bielby. Alex is pleased to have served the administration of justice in his role as Legal Counsel to the Court of Appeal.
As a proponent of continuing legal education, Alex completed the LESA Intensive Trial Advocacy Course at the University of Calgary in 2011 as well as the LESA French language seminar La terminologie juridique en français in 2012. He is pleased to offer services to clients in French as well as Chinese (Cantonese dialect).
Alex’s goal is to achieve the most timely, efficient and cost-effective resolution for his clients.
Professional Associations and Other Activities
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (Alberta)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association National Access to Justice Committee, 2016-2017
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Law Society of Yukon
- Volunteer Lawyer, Edmonton Community Legal Centre
- Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200), Yoga Alliance
- Legal Education Society of Alberta, Learning Group Facilitator, CPLED, 2014-2015
- Sessional Instructor, MacEwan University, Business Law course, 2016-2017
- Sessional Instructor, Faculty of Law, University of Alberta, (forthcoming September 2017)
- Chief Justice R.A. Greenshields Memorial Scholarship for Graduate Studies in Law, McGill University, 2009
- Principal’s Graduate Fellowship, McGill University, 2009
- Provost Graduate Fellowship, McGill University, 2008
- Sheldon Chumir Foundation Memorial Essay Prize in Human Rights or Ethics in Government, University of Alberta, 2005
- Laurence Decore Student Award for Leadership, University of Alberta, 2005
- Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP First Year Law Bursary, University of Alberta, 2004