Alex joined Ackroyd LLP as an associate in 2017. Prior to joining Ackroyd, he acquired extensive litigation experience working at a boutique law firm and a regional full-service law firm in Edmonton. Alex also served as Legal Counsel to the Court of Appeal of Alberta from 2014-2016, where he was assigned to The Honourable Thomas W. Wakeling and The Honourable Myra B. Bielby.
Alex carries on a general litigation practice with a particular focus on aboriginal law, administrative law, civil litigation, commercial litigation, and insurance litigation. Alex is an experienced litigator who strives to achieve the most timely, efficient and cost-effective resolution for his clients. He appears before all levels of Court in Alberta and has also appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada (leave to appeal). Alex also participates in all forms of alternative dispute resolution processes, including mediation and Judicial Dispute Resolution (JDR).
As a proponent of continuing legal education, Alex completed the LESA Intensive Trial Advocacy Course at the University of Calgary in 2011 as well as the LESA French language seminar La terminologie juridique en français in 2012. He is pleased to offer services to clients in French as well as Chinese (Cantonese dialect).
In addition to sitting on various boards, Alex is an instructor at the University of Alberta Faculty of Law. In his spare time, he can be found teaching yoga and loves to cook and travel.
Education & Background
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 2007
- Called to the Yukon Bar, 2013
- LLM, McGill University, 2010
- LLB, University of Alberta, 2006
- BA, University of Alberta, 2003
Professional Associations & Other Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Law Society of Yukon
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (Alberta)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association National Access to Justice Committee, 2016-2017
- Volunteer Lawyer, Edmonton Community Legal Centre
- Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200), Yoga Alliance
- Legal Education Society of Alberta, Learning Group Facilitator, CPLED, 2014-2015
- Sessional Instructor, MacEwan University, Business Law course, 2016-2017
- Sessional Instructor, Faculty of Law, University of Alberta
- Programs Committee Chair, Alumni and Friends of the Faculty of Law Association, University of Alberta
- Volunteer Lawyer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel, Pro Bono Law Alberta
- Chief Justice R.A. Greenshields Memorial Scholarship for Graduate Studies in Law, McGill University, 2009
- Principal’s Graduate Fellowship, McGill University, 2009
- Provost Graduate Fellowship, McGill University, 2008
- Sheldon Chumir Foundation Memorial Essay Prize in Human Rights or Ethics in Government, University of Alberta, 2005
- Laurence Decore Student Award for Leadership, University of Alberta, 2005
- Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP First Year Law Bursary, University of Alberta, 2004