Ifeoma articled with Ackroyd LLP and continued her practice with the firm. Prior to joining Ackroyd LLP, she acquired banking, corporate, and commercial experience as a lawyer in a full service business law firm in the commercial city of Lagos, Nigeria and in an Alberta financial institution. She has continued to carry on corporate, commercial, and aboriginal practice in addition to a large environmental and regulatory law practice.
Ifeoma carries on a regulatory and environmental law practice, acting for landowners who have concerns about oil and gas, mining, or utility developments on or adjacent to their properties. She has appeared before various administrative tribunals including the Alberta Utilities Commission, the Alberta Energy Regulator, the Surface Rights Board, the Environmental Appeals Board, and the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board. She has appeared in energy, utility, environmental and development appeals hearings. Ifeoma litigates a wide range of environmental cases and contractual cases before all levels of Court in Alberta and frequently negotiates settlement deals on behalf of landowners.
Ifeoma provides legal services to First Nation governments, Métis governments and Métis owned corporations on a wide range of issues including investment initiatives, partnership arrangements, corporate reorganizations, negotiations, and other commercial transactions. She also speaks at conferences and seminars on issues involving her practice. Ifeoma volunteers regularly with Pro Bono Law Alberta and in her community/cultural initiatives.
In her spare time, Ifeoma enjoys spending time with her four children, including one set of twins, taking a walk with her husband, working out in the gym, and dancing.
Preferred Areas of Practice
Education & Background
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 2013
- CRM, Global Risk Management Institute (GRMI) and Risk Management Society (RIMS) (AB), 2011
- LLM, University of Alberta, 2007
- Called to the Nigerian Bar, 2003
Professional Associations & Other Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (Alberta) (CBA Executive Member – Environmental Law Section)
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association (Inactive)
- CPLED Instructor (Interviewing and Advising – Learning Exercises), Legal Education Society of Alberta, 2013
- Volunteer Lawyer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel, Pro Bono Law Alberta